Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

First of all, I think Ricky Gervais is fucking hilarious.  To Hollywood's apparent discomfort, it was his second year hosting (or should I say "roasting") the 68th Annual Golden Globes.  His blistering monologues may have cost him future GG hosting gigs, but ah well, we'll always have The BBC Office!

Anyway, what do I know about comedy?  You're here to read about the obv, the fashion on the red carpet.  To be perfectly honest, I wasn't blown away by any of the styling, but there were a few diamonds in the rough.  I noticed one of the biggest trends in dress shopping this season was nude and neutral tones.  There were some rare pops of color, a handful of jewel tones, and the always classic-but-safe black.

I'll keep it short and sweet; 
I divided these looks into three categories:
Favorites, Fabulous, Flatline, and Fail

FAVORITES
preferred before all others, of the same kind


Anne Hathaway | Armani Prive
Love the color, love the bling, love the shoulders, love the sleeves...


...and my favorite part of the dress.  She was beyond stunning.  


Mila Kunis | Vera Wang
This jewel tone is perfection on her, and I love all the beautiful details.


January Jones | Versace
She saw it blue, and wanted it in red.  So they made it.  Jealous much?
She definitely embodies old hollywood glamour and beyond.  
She looked sexy, but still classy; not an easy task (take note Christina Aguilera)

FABULOUS
extraordinary and amazingly good



Olivia Wilde | Marchesa
It's difficult to go wrong with Marchesa; this sparkly and voluminous piece is reminiscent of a dark fairy princess (which is a good thing), just not sure about the hair though...


Megan Fox | Armani Prive
Sex + Goddess = Megan Fox


Halle Berry | Nina Ricci
Is she really 44? I can't even...


Tina Fey
"This is beautiful.  What is that velvet?" 
(for those not in the know, guy in barbershop, Coming to America)


Scarlett Johanssen
She doesn't need Ryan Reynolds to look this good, but I'm sure it didn't hurt to have him as an accessory for those 2 years (sigh...)


Sandra Bullock | Jenny Packham
Jesse who?  She is really looking better than ever!


Angelina Jolie
It's great to see her switch it up with a splash of color, normally channeling Johnny Cash in all black.  She looks ah-maaa-zing in this emerald gown, but what doesn't she look amazing in?


Heidi Klum: Marc Jacobs
She looks like she should be en route to Studio 54, but lovin those gams and bangles. 


Leighton Meister: Burberry
She looks darling, and I'm obsessed with her gold art-deco style handbag. 

FLATLINE
indicating death
 (...definition is a tad dramatic, but these dresses were a snooze-fest)


Claire Danes | Calvin Klein


Emma Stone | Calvin Klein


Nicole Kidman | Prada

FAIL
to be unsuccessful in meeting one's goal


Julianne Moore | Lanvin
I actually like this dress, I would love it more if it was short, and even more so if it wasn't all wrinkled and on Julianne Moore. 


Christina Aguilera
I normally love all things lace; I guess there's always a first time for everything. 


Jennifer Love-Hewitt
I was never a fan of her work or her style, still feel the same way.


Lea Michele
I don't know what it is about this look, it just feels like she's trying too hard. 


Natalie Portman | Victor & Rolf
Normally these folks can do no wrong in my eyes, but this looks like a Valentine's Day Card threw up on Natalie Portman.



Tilda Swinton | Jil Sander
So boring I can't even comment.


Michelle Williams | Valentino
Say it ain't so Valentino.  Say it ain't so.



Helena Bonham Carter
Man, this is brutal.  I'm sure she is just getting her ass handed to her on a platter for this look.  I think she's a great actor, but needs a little direction in the style dept.  I'm all for being an individual and making a statement; but there's no words for this look other than hot MESS and total FAIL.


~nRm

Photos: www.chicagonow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment